Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Interview - a metaphor for America

I bought The Interview on Google Play yesterday afternoon, and watched it last night.  It was surprisingly good. I don't know if it's going to win any awards, but it was fairly funny and well-structured. I counted only one jarring transition / awkwardly beginning scene and only one spot in the plot where pacing was off, and at least half a dozen hearty chuckles.

Then thinking about it this morning, there are a few parallels between The Interview and America. The Interview started out as a novelty, something that I caught a glimpse of in passing; I thought "Oh that looks a little cool, I guess. What else you got for today, Internet / media?". I imagine anyone in the late 1400s early 1500s who wasn't investing in America but still heard about it might have had similar reactions: "Oh, that's a little interesting, I guess. Gosh I hope the Inquisition doesn't come by today".

Then the controversy hit. People who were interested in seeing it not blossom went out of their way to put up roadblocks to it. Heavy taxation from the British = Sony hackers. Other, more serious stumbling came:  Revolutionary war, Native American genocide, slavery, prohibition, suffrage struggle, civil rights struggle = major movie theatre chains deciding not to show it in light of asshat terrorist threats. But eventually things kind of work out.

Both America and The Interview have a noticeable amount of sex, but from my perspective neither of them go over the top with it. They both also have a fair amount of drug use, but again, not too much. It's all in good fun and doesn't go off the rails with it. There is also a lot of love in this movie / country: love of one's work, love of one's country, love of things, puppies, lust, and, most of all, friendship. Lots and lots of good, honest, wholesome, heartfelt friendship.

The only excess in this movie is a slight, minor imperfection, and that is the violence. I know a comedy about assassination is going to have some violence, and for the most part it wasn't too bad. At least one part is hilariously absurd. Another part is, at first, shockingly grotesque, but understandable given the situation. At first. Then the second and third time are so cringeworthy, I had to look away. (I'm guessing you will too.) Just like in America.

Overall, I rather like it. Sure, it's got a few problems. Anyone who tells you it's perfect is either ignorant of all the facts, lying, or clearly insane. But definitely worth checking out. Same goes for The Interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment